1. Paper Format Diagram
- Paper format:
- 32KL: 148mm x 210mm
- 16KL: 210mm x 285mm
- 32K: 130mm x 185mm
- 16K: 185mm x 260mm
Copyright and ISBN
Obtaining copyright is a crucial part of the publishing process. All books published by North Publishing House are registered with the author's name to protect their intellectual property rights. The copyright law recognizes that the author is the sole owner of his work, and prohibits others from copying, deriving, distributing copies or displaying them without permission.
International Standard Book Number
The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is an internationally accepted book or independent publication (except periodic publications) code. Publishers can identify all non-journal books by ISBN. The book number of the unified standard system (including mainland China) is used worldwide, and is managed by the International Standard Book Number Headquarters (INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BOOK NUMBER AGENCY, established in 1972 in Berlin, Germany). Except for mainland China, most countries use a registration system when applying for a book number, while mainland China adopts an audit system, and the book number can only be obtained after the review is passed. Of course, for the International Standard Book Number Headquarters, the status of all book numbers is the same.
Difference between ISBN-10 and ISBN-13
The components of the 10-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN-10):
Area code + publisher code + book sequence code + computer check code
The components of the 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN-13):
EAN code + area code + publisher code + book sequence code + computer check code
The 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN-13) is mainly compared with the 10-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN-10) by adding the EAN number and modifying the computer check code generation method at the front.
Explanation of the components of ISBN
EAN: European Article Number, the ISBN Center decided in 2004 to add a set of three digits to the top of the ISBN, that is, add "978" or "979" in front of the existing 10-digit book number Recalculate the computer check code to convert to the new 13-bit format.
- Area code: country, language or area code
|0: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia|
0, 1: Canada (English), United States, New Zealand
81, 93: India
89: South Korea
951, 952: Finnish
972, 989: Portuguese
962: Hong Kong
967, 983: Malaysia
981, 9971: Singapore
9946: North Korea
- Publisher code: assigned to each publisher by the international standard book number distribution center of each country or region.
- Book sequence code: This publication code is given by the publishing house.
- Computer verification code (ISBN-10): The verification code is designed to prevent errors caused by incorrect copying of the ISBN number. There is only one bit, from 0 to 10, and 10 is replaced by X.
- Calculation method: The weighted sum of the first 9 digits is modulo 11, and the modulo is subtracted from 11 to get the value of the check digit. If it is 10, the check code is the letter "X". The number "0", if it is another number, the check code is this number.
- Computer check code (ISBN-13): only one digit, from 0 to 9.
- The calculation method is: multiply the odd-numbered bits in the first 12 bits of the ISBN by 1, multiply the even-numbered bits by 3, and take the modulus of 10 as the product, and subtract the modulus by 10 to get the value of the check digit. Value range should be 0-9
Published books must be printed with ISBN and its barcode or QR code.
- 10-digit book number: "Walking without Shadow", Xiao Yan, The Time Literature and Art Press.
- Barcode example
- 13 book number: "The Incense", Xiao Yan, North Publishing House
- Barcode example
- 13-digit book number: "The Ottawa Chinese Writers' Anthology", Editor-in-Chief, Shou Deng, Yi Chen, North Publishing House
- QR code example
3. Book composition and terminology
Hardcover, semi-hardcover (cover and cover in one), cover, girdle, bookmark, etc. are required.
- The thickness of the spine is related to the number of pages and the thickness of the paper. The thickness of paper is usually measured by weight. The following is the approximate thickness of the spine of 20-pound paper for reference when designing the cover. For more accurate data, please consult the printing house.
Are you ready? Next Steps...